Saturday, December 4, 2010

I Do Solemnly Swear






I cried for Adam today
My tears a long downpour
Not in the old familiar way
But for what he stood for

Under God, as man of his word
He kept his solemn oath
The extended call, he heard
Though he'd done the time he owed

With but one small reserve-
A short weekend honeymoon
Again he stood to serve
Then...fallen, he died all too soon

In support of the Constitution
He defended it to his death
With courage his contribution
As a hero he took his last breath

I have been studying the constitution's birth- seeing the sacrifices and the inspiration in it. I was hit with emotion when I learned what I guess I'd forgotten-the oath is in support and defense of the Constitution.


The wordings of the current oath of enlistment and oath for commissioned officers are as follows:

"I, _____, do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; and that I will obey the orders of the President of the United States and the orders of the officers appointed over me, according to regulations and the Uniform Code of Military Justice. So help me God." (Title 10, US Code; Act of 5 May 1960 replacing the wording first adopted in 1789, with amendment effective 5 October 1962).

"I, _____ (SSAN), having been appointed an officer in the Army of the United States, as indicated above in the grade of _____ do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign or domestic, that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservations or purpose of evasion; and that I will well and faithfully discharge the duties of the office upon which I am about to enter; So help me God." (DA Form 71, 1 August 1959, for officers.)

Army Sgt. Adam W. Estep
Died April 29, 2004 serving during Operation Iraqi Freedom

23, of Campbell, Calif.; assigned to the 2nd Battalion, 5th Infantry Regiment, 1st Cavalry Division, Fort Hood, Texas; killed April 29 when a rocket-propelled grenade hit his patrol in Baghdad.California soldier killed in Iraq ‘never showed fear’

Associated Press
Army Sgt. Adam W. Estep - Honor the Fallen - MilitaryTimes.com
SARATOGA, Calif. — Sgt. Adam Estep was remembered Tuesday by friends and family as a soldier who never showed fear, even in the most violent battles.

Estep, a 23-year-old tank driver, died April 29 in a rocket-propelled grenade attack outside Baghdad.

“Every day he touched lives in ways that cannot be erased,” friend and Marine Sgt. Jason Steele said at the funeral. “We should all aspire to be like him. You all must rejoice in the memories we have of him and know that he will always be with you.”

Estep, who was active in ROTC in high school in San Jose, joined the Army in 2000 and drove tanks for the 2nd Battalion, 5th Cavalry Regiment and 1st Cavalry Division.

He had been stationed at Fort Hood, Texas, and served a six-month tour in Kuwait. In December, the Army extended his commitment for 14 months. He left for Iraq in March.

His wife of two months, Demara Estep, said her husband longed to attend college and start a family. He lined his letters with sophisticated sketches.

No comments:

Post a Comment